Would you like to do more to help fight world hunger but you’re not sure of the facts and figures? Here are our top ten WORLD HUNGER FACTS to get you thinking.
1 : More than 821 million people in the world do not have enough foodCitation – to put that figure into perspective, it’s the population of the UK a DOZEN times over.
2: The number of hungry people in the world continues to grow and is expected to reach a staggering two billion by 2050.Citation
- 3 : Hunger is no respecter of age. Hungry parents struggle to feed hungry children. Hungry adults lack the mental and physical energy to provide properly for their families. For many, the cycle of hunger is simply impossible to break.
- 4 : For a child, hunger can be particularly devastating. It is an especially shocking World Hunger Fact that right now around the world, five children die every minute as a result of malnutrition.Citation Millions more live with the effects for the rest of their lives.
- 5 : Children who are poorly nourished suffer the equivalent of up to five months of illness each year, and undernutrition magnifies the effects of serious diseases like malaria, measles and pneumonia.Citation
- 6 : Poverty is the leading cause of hunger. It’s little surprise that children at greatest risk from malnutrition live in the world’s poorest and most marginalised communities. Global Care has nearly 40 years experience of helping the poorest of the poor, in communities facing a daily struggle to survive.
- 7 : Hunger is complicated. A child living in poverty may not be hungry but they may still be malnourished. An estimated 1 in 2 children aged under 5 across the world suffer from “hidden” hunger due to deficiencies in the vitamins and other essential nutrients they need to thrive.Citation
- 8 : Hunger is about much more than food intake. Sixty six million primary school-age children attend classes hungry across the developing world.Citation A hungry child will struggle to concentrate and many children simply drop out of school to try to earn money to eat instead. Global Care has a particular commitment to feeding children at school. A simple meal on arrival or at lunchtime can have a huge impact on a child’s readiness to learn.
- 9 : The solution to hunger is not about handouts. Global Care is committed to helping some of the world’s most vulnerable children break the cycle of extreme poverty through grassroots education projects. UNESCO estimateCitation that 171 million people would be lifted out of poverty if all children left school with basic reading skills and were empowered to become self-sufficient adults capable of providing for themselves and their families.
- 10 : If you remember only one World Hunger Fact, remember this:
Hunger is preventable.
- The world produces more than enough food to feed the entire global population. But it takes knowledge and action, and that starts with every single one of us.
If our World Hunger Facts have whetted your appetite for action, what can you do? Here are some ideas:
- Just £30 buys two school meals a day for a year for a hungry child at Spurgeons Academy, in Kibera, Kenya. You can donate to Spurgeons Academy or support the school as a monthly partner.
- Sponsoring an individual child in a poor community, with a monthly gift of £25, ensures they receive education, food and healthcare until they reach independent adulthood. It’s an investment which changes lives forever – we’ve seen it bring transformation again and again
- 28 May 2021 is World Hunger Day. Can you use the day to raise funds for vulnerable children, or awareness of World Hunger? You could do a sponsored fast, or a lunch party where everyone eats rice and beans – the typical diet of millions of the world’s poor. Contact us if you want any help with your fundraising.